Thursday, February 25, 2010

More "fun" with 64-bit Windows 7

I am not sure the Universe is ready for 64-bit Windows 7, yet. I need to use Python in one of my classes along with PIL (Python Imaging Library). There is a 64-bit version of Python which installs without a problem. The PIL binary for Windows is 32-bit. Try to install it and you get:


Looks like 32-bit PIL "does not love" 64-bit Python. Not very surprising, I guess, still a little bit disappointing.

Ok, let's install the 32-bit version of Python followed by the 32-bit PIL. This is what I get:



Hmm, looks a little familiar. So, 32-bit PIL "doesn't love" 32-bit Python either, under 64-bit Windows 7.

This is getting ugly.

Also, it looks like Firefox is a 32-bit program. So, that's a little bit of a bummer, although it runs well on the system.

On the plus side, it took me like 3 clicks to get connected to the network printer in the department. I'm holding my judgment on Win 7 64-bit at this point.

No comments: